Monday, June 7, 2010

My Heart's Desire

Today, while filling out many various scholarship applications I was asked to write my personal statement in 250 words or less. Well I already have a personal statement that I have written for other applications but it is 500 words. I was worried about condensing it because I didnt know how I was going to get my full impression out in just 250 words, however I think that the condensed version may represent my heart even better because it is even more straight to the point, so here it is...

We are each in existence for a particular purpose. Some stumble around their entire lives and never figure it out, where as some find that purpose when they are 14. I am one of those blessed people. When I was 14 years old I had the opportunity to spend two weeks in the country of Haiti where I helped to build the foundation for the first high school available to the general public, or in laymen terms available to the poor, as well as a clinic. For two weeks every day after we had walked the villages performing vacation bible schools for the children we proceeded to grab our work clothes and pick-axes and head to the site. With the materials list including boulders, dirt and water we worked to create a concrete-like foundation made of the rock we personally crushed mixed with surrounding dirt and water. This experience gave me and my heart our purpose. For almost 10 years now I have been working to achieve my architecture license in order to begin my campaign. “True Sustainable Architecture” this campaign will be for going into inner cities, slums, and third world countries and providing the necessities of a facility for clinics, schools, and churches to sustain livelihood for human beings, hence true sustainability. This is my heart and my life’s goal, and to achieve it I need financial help finishing my education.

No comments:

Post a Comment